Monday, April 14, 2008

Still weak

I mentioned that my hip is still weak.... I sometimes forget this-- back in November, a few weeks after surgery, I got off of the exercise bike and was amazed at how tired my hip was after an easy spin session. Why would my hip be so weak? Everything was still there, muscles looked fine, etc. It made sense that I would be sore, and the soreness would limit my activity. But weakness-- esp. profound weakness? Anyway, almost all of the weakness is gone now-- maybe 10% is left. And I'm trying to figure out how to address it.

Muscle strength is complicated. There's raw strength, explosive strength and endurance-- that is, I'm just guessing-- I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. At any rate, I feel like my hip's raw strength is decent, but the endurance and explosive strength is lacking. And I think more muscular endurance would give my running the biggest boost. Again, just guessing.... So I'm going to try to bike 2 or 3x per week for an hour or so, and possibly longer on the weekends to build some more endurance, see what happens.

No comments: