Tuesday, April 22, 2008

reconcilable differences

About a year ago I went to a running form workshop-- they film you running at various speeds and then you watch yourself frame by frame, looking for problems. I felt pretty good going into it-- I had never seen myself run before and I thought I looked pretty good, but the frame by frame revealed a minor trainwreck in each stride. My right leg was doing all of the work-- left leg was along for the ride. I guess I already sorta knew this. But since my left leg was taking it easy my right leg had to move quickly to get in position for each landing. And typically it would land too soon, creating braking forces and, well, pounding. This created problems in my stride that eventually led to (I think) the torn labrum on the right. Contributing to this (or caused by?) is a leg length discrepancy-- my right leg is 1/2" shorter than my left. This usually causes me to lean slightly and my right leg tends to land closer to the center line. With my right leg more under my body, it can generate more power. Also thrown into the mix is a slight twist in my left tibia-- it's a bone growth thing, something that happened as I grew-- it causes my left foot to point slightly outwards, reducing the power my left leg can generate upon push-off. It all adds up-- my right leg works much harder and gets most of the pounding. And my right leg has historically gotten injured more often.

The surgery has given me time to contemplate these things, and attempt to correct them-- starting over has this going for it. Lately I'm trying to bring my left leg in, such that it lands closer to the center line (and correspondingly, bring my right leg outward), so my left leg can generate more power via the glutes-- something my right leg appreciates-- now my right leg has plenty of time to get into position for a nice landing and less pounding. I think this small adjustment is having a big positive effect on my running lately.

I've been here before. My running log is full of this kind of theorizing. Each theory lasts as long as I feel good. 17 days and counting....

No comments: