Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Teeny tiny base

Last Friday I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 4 minutes walking/1 minutes running at 11 minute pace. It felt better than before...and 11 minute pace felt like 11 minute pace, so I left the gym happy, and less sore than the previous treadmill workout.

Sunday I biked down to Barton and aquajogged for 1:15 with Shannon and we talked about family, among other topics, namely parents, and how they can be a pain in the ass. This time, unlike the previous Sunday, the hip felt fine.

Monday I jogged again on the treadmill. I gave 10 minute pace a try and it felt fine, so I hung out there for the rest of the workout. 25 minutes, 4/1 walk/run, 7% incline.

Tues I got up early and aquajogged in Barton again. Christine was there and we chatted about various and sundry topics and did a few short "speed" intervals. She left after about 40 minutes and I did a few laps solo. I clocked a 7:40 200m lap which I can compare to my notes and be satisfied that I'm in decent aquajogging shape. (I spent lots of time aquajogging about 18 months ago because of a stress fracture.) The temp was oddly summer-like, and my hip was a little sore afterwards-- I'm going with muscle soreness-- my hip flexor and psoas are weak.

Today I did another walk/run on the treadmill-- I was feeling a little sore going into it, but it went fine, no real issues. So.... that's 3 times on the treadmill this week without significant soreness. I'm going to claim that I have a base, a teeny tiny base (boy, they really don't get much smaller) from which to build my running. From here:

3/2 walk/run, 3x/wk
2.5/2.5
2/3
1/4
20 min treadmill, incline, no walking, 3x/wk
25 min treadmill
30 min treadmill
20 min roads
25 min roads
30 min roads
....

Once I get up to 30 minutes on the roads 3x/wk, I want to work up to 5x per week easy running of various sorts, circuit, grass, trail, hills, before I add speed. How long will this take? One day at a time.....

No comments: