Monday, January 7, 2008

Really dang white

We went biking on the tandem again this weekend, but my hip hurt quite a bit at the beginning, which was a little odd-- the bike had never caused this much pain before. The pain subsided after a couple minutes of riding, but it got me a little worried. I was thinking about biking some more this week-- I'll give it another go, but be careful. We did a total of 2.5 miles to and from Mangia pizza.

At any rate, I did my elliptical/stair workout today and it went fine. I cranked up the incline this time, which worked my hips a little more and made it a tad bit harder. I did 20 minutes elliptical, 8 minutes stairs.

Update Wed: went to see my PT dude-- did the same exercises as usual, but added 10 minutes on the treadmill, which was exciting I guess, but I had to wear a harness that reduced the weight on my legs. It sorta took the zen out of running, but I shouldn't complain.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've run a few times lately for short periods of 1 minute or so. The hip feels strong, but the range of motion isn't there yet. And I'm fairly paranoid that I'm going to screw something up. The running hasn't made the hip any sorer though.

I went for a short 40 minute bike ride today (on the single bike), and it went surprisingly well, given the problems I'd had over the weekend. No pain this time. I even had a little power. I found myself standing in the saddle when accelerating from a stop, not because I'm stupid, which I tend to be, but out of habit, but I remembered my doc telling me not to do that, so I stopped it for the most part. The time passed really fast when compared to the stationary bike-- I had fun. I think I'll try to get at least 2 bike rides in per wk. I did about 8 miles today. Other observations: my legs are really dang white.

No comments: