Monday, July 20, 2009

Setback and perspective

There seems to be a pattern where I have good times of guarded optimism followed by setbacks, sometimes big setbacks like last summer.... A few weeks ago (June 16) I was running on the UT track and some guy in spandex passed me, so I did a little pick up, nothing big, just a little acceleration--- I'm competitive after all and I have a general dislike of those wearing spandex--- and then it went-- sharp pain in my hip. I continued to run along for a few strides in disbelief. I even finished the workout, but cut it a little short. Denial. Took some Aleve when I got home and woke up the next morning with a sore hip.

Doc says it could be scar tissue that broke free causing bleeding in the joint and it might take a few weeks of cross-training to recover. But of course, I'm inclined to think the worst.

Right now the hip feels good. I've run a couple times since, short distances, 1 or 2 miles, but the hip is sore for the next couple days. So I've stopped running. I've reached the conclusion that I can't rely on running as my main form of exercise, given that I'm stressed, and exercise is by far my best stress release.

So I'm going to try to become a decent swimmer. I don't like swimming, but maybe if I was good at it..... I can still bike, but I need some variety. I'm frustrated of course, and depressed. And I feel foolish for expending all this energy. But the perspective....the perspective will help me see. Gotta think that something good will come of all this.

1 comment:

freeheelfun said...

Hi Rich,
I still follow your blog every now and then to remind myself that some people do get back to running after this injury/surgery. (I sent you an email months ago after my labral repair surgery in January). In any event, I'm sorry you're still having trouble but I have heard that the scar tissue issue is real and can cause set backs for weeks at time -- I really doubt you did anything to re-injure your labrum at this point. But of course the hip is so complicated it could be any number of soft tissue/intra-articular things or likely a combination of both.
Reading your training regime makes me a little exhausted thinking about how if I ever do get back into running I will have to commit to such a long, slow build and I know I will have to modify my expectations from Life Before Hip. But its great to see that you are back out there and driven to getting back to what you love. As for cross-training, you should definitely try to get into swimming -- it has done wonders to restore good mobility and function in my hip and it is a great workout. I have the advantage of having been a swimmer growing up so its easier for me than alot of people but I do think it is particularly good for people with long-term hip problems. Currently, I alternate road riding, mountain biking and swimming most days of the week and although its not the trail running that I love, its something. Also, just remember you still have recovery time left to go -- it hasn't been a year. That is what I keep telling myself and looking back at the last six months its slow and miserable but true. I haven't given up that I will run at some point this year even if it is one minute at a time.

Good luck!!