Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Progress

I'm 6 weeks post-op today. OK, need to do a better job of logging my workouts--- went to the gym again on Friday and ran for 6 minutes, another 3 minute walk, 2 minute run type deal. Saturday I did a brisk walk for 40 minutes, 2.5 miles pushing Bubby in the stroller. This made the hip tired and a little sore. When I walk I can feel strength in my glutes lately, whereas a couple weeks ago, it hurt to engage them. And on Sunday I ran a total of 9 minutes on the trail with Shannon pushing our kids. We covered about 2 miles. It was cold-- coffee afterwards was needed. I was worried that the soreness that had been building was going to cause a setback after Sunday's run, but Monday I did a decent workout in the gym without issues. And today hip feels fine. Compare this to 10 weeks post-op last year. I'm running better, etc, at 6 weeks out.

This time around I'm torn between pushing the running or holding off and pushing the bike instead-- to build the hip strength. The bike is good for that without the impact of running. The core exercises at the gym have been working well-- I'd like to keep them up at least 2x/wk. I'm not planning very well this time around. Maybe no plan is a good plan.... plans create expectations, expectations create training errors, blah, blah.

2 comments:

freeheelfun said...

Hi Rich,
Great blog -- very helpful. Wasn't sure if you were still actively posting? Anyway, I just had surgery to repair a torn labrum and cam/pincer impingement on 1/22/09 and have been reading through your blog to get an idea of where I should be at 4 weeks. I'm glad to read that your gait was still awkward -- I do that same 'leaning over' the involved hip but I thought it was because I had done something terrible and torn things again. This injury has made me incredibly paranoid!
I have been a trail runner in Colorado for the last 10 years...I can't tell you how much I miss it. You can imagine, I'm sure.

Hope your recovery from surgery #2 is still going well.

Amy

Rich said...

Hey Amy-- thanks for the positive feedback-- much appreciated. But sorry to hear you have found yourself in the club (so to speak.)

Hope your recovery goes well-- everyone is different, but things tend to progress slowly, so patience is important! I'll check out your blog.

thanks!