Friday, December 7, 2007

Return of the sweaty dude

He's back, the Sweaty Dude. He enjoys pretty much any machine at the gym, as long as it makes him sweat, but he's particularly fond of the elliptical trainer. He gets on that thing and sweats up a storm, apparently trying to prove something to himself or reach some kind of elliptical high score. He clearly has some kind of exercise disorder.

I just got back from the gym. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, and I sweated quite a bit, by far the best cardio workout I've had in months. It told me that my fitness isn't too bad.....much better than I thought it was, so I'm thrilled. I drove to Houston today for my 4 week post-op with my doc. He was very pleased with my progress, so I felt motivated to pay the gym a visit at 9:00 on a Friday night, and sweat a lot. The grande starbucks I consumed on the drive home didn't hurt either....

Update: as is my tendency, I overdid it. I'm sore today--- not too bad, but definitely sore. I told myself I would put the elliptical off for awhile to avoid this kind of thing, but I felt like I got a better workout compared to the bike, and the weight bearing is probably better for my hip rehab at this point. My plan is to hit the elliptical 3x/wk, but back off the intensity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress. I had surgery on Nov. 13and am beginning to wonder if I'll ever be normal again!!!!

Rich said...

I wonder the same.....it's a long recovery. Doc said yesterday that you can expect improvement for up to 8 months, which is both good and bad. Hang in there.