Thursday, December 10, 2009

4 miles of optimism

My optimistic expectations are well documented in this blog. When something good happens--- I have a good walk, good bike ride, good run, I'm compelled to write about it here and then attempt to extrapolate where I'll be in a couple months, given that I feel good at that very moment. But something always happens that forces me to revise my optimism. At least now I see the pattern.... took me a couple years, but finally I get it. So lately I've been resigned to the fact that the old hip may never get better. It's easier this way--- acceptance. and I get tired of wondering.... the uncertainty sucks..... just want an answer, even if it's not good.

But dang, I just had a good run. 4 miles, 7:30 avg pace, trail, no soreness. Haven't run this well since I can remember.... Maybe I'll run a sub-40 10k in March....... (kidding)

3 comments:

freeheelfun said...

Great post! I totally hear you on not trying to wrench meaning out every good day or bad day and just trying to accept the present situation and be glad for what is today. (Not that I abide by that line of thinking all the time or even most of the time but I aspire to at least).

I've actually been doing pretty well lately - a 1.5 hour hike this weekend and another one this morning in the snow. I'm not sure though that I'm not just masking the pain with pharmaceuticals -- I'm taking Voltaren 2 times a day which really seems to be helping after it built up in my system over about 2 weeks. I'v also got a script for the Flexor Patch which I highly recommend b/c you can just use it when you want and it doesn't cause stomach side effects. Its great if you have a big day and you just stick it on before bed.

Rich said...

I've been taking 400mg of ibuprofen before my runs. Not sure if I need it, but it could be a big part of why I've been able to run lately. NSAIDs before exercise is usually not a good thing, but as long as I don't have soreness the next day, after it's worn off, I'm thinking it's fine. Maybe it prevents the secondary damage due to inflammation in the joint...?

Good to hear things are looking up--- 1.5 hours of hiking is definitely good stuff, and it will surely get better.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Man--I know EXACTLY how you feel with the running/not running phenomenon. I'll have a 10 mile run one day (albeit not fast) and then won't be able to move the next day. Cycling seems to hurt my herniated L5 more than my hip, but generally both my lower back and hip are sore after any strenuous activity. I'm still in the "what should I do" stage. Manageable pain, still have decent level of activity, etc. However, I did drop my Ironman for 2010. Just way to much to even consider at this point. 2010 will feature some shorter distances and an attempt to work on speed. If my speed remains a hinderance, I'll more than likely opt for surgery in the Spring.